Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:25:09 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ddb/kgdb: How do I find out what a process is doing?

On Sun,  8 February 1998 at  0:22:56 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> Greg Lehey said:
>> I'm doing some kernel development work, and I'm using remote kgdb to
>> debug it with.  I currently have a process which is sleeping
>> (eternally) in biord.  How do I do a backtrace on it?
>
> If the debugger doesn't support using alternate kernel stacks,

That's a question.  Does it or doesn't it?  I haven't been able to
find any evidence.

> I usually put a timeout in the tsleep, and call the debugger from
> the tsleep error return.  Seldom should a biord take longer than a
> few seconds, so perhaps a timeout value of 5*hz should be safe.
> This, of course, works well only for reproduceable problems.

Sure, and only for biord.  In this particular case, I know that it's
broken, I was just wondering whether I should take a look at the
nature of the breakage before rebooting the machine.  Recoding the
call to tsleep is overkill.

Greg