Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:08:24 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   hard drive error

I noticed that one of my computers was not responding this morning. I
went to the console and there was a message about a hard error on the
disk drive and not being able to read a block. The version of FreeBSD
is -STABLE as of Friday, April 5, 2002. I hit the reset button and
booted into single user mode and tried to run an fsck. The same error
occurred. There was also an attempt to switch from UDMA mode to PIO mode
but the system locks up with this error.

I have 3 other identical machines, including identical hard drives, with
the same kernel version and they are all running fine. I know this is a
hard drive problem but I was wondering if reformatting the drive would
help or if I should just go ahead and put a new drive in?

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252