Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:38:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: performance comparision of ipfilter and ipfw

In some mail from spork, sie said:

> Darren,
>
> I must admit I've been brainwashed by Checkpoint and their "stateful
> inspection" rhetoric.
>
> Could you briefly explain some of the differences between ipfilter's state
> mechanism and the checkpoint version?  Am I correct in assuming that they
> are basically the same at many levels?

Similar in idea (at the TCP level) but that's about it.  Checkpoint's SPF
(they claim) operates at ISO layers 3-7, which I find somewhat bogus
whereas IP Filter only works at 3 & 4.

The "best" difference I know of is that Checkpoint has a "quick" expirey
for connections (they may not follow the TCP FSM at all :/) and as a result,
in order to "pickup" connections that have "idled out", let dataless through
the firewall (I'm not sure if you can turn off this behaviour) ACK packets
and recreate the session if an ACK is returned.  IP FIlter, on the other
hand, has a large expirey for "established" connections (5 days) and follows
the TCP FSM and won't let through ACK's just because they're a stray ACK and
might be part of a connection it doesn't know about (of course this can be
countered but I'm assuming a "sane" config).

An interesting outcome of this is that FW-1 doesn't necessarily know all
the "active" connections through it at any given moment.

Darren