Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 10:56:58 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: apsfilter vs. magicfilter

On Monday 30 April 2001 22:13, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com> types:

[...]

> apsfilter is built around using ghostscript as a front end to talk to
> the printer. This causes extra work in cases where you don't need to
> render things as postscript, and some problems if you're trying to
> send postscript straight to a postscript printer.

This is exactly what I was trying to do. I have a Postscript printer (HP
LaserJet 4050) and although I can print to it using apsfilter, I get a lot of
artifacts when the source comes from one of the Macs connected to the
network. Clearly I don't need ghostscript at all.

[...]

> If you want automatic translation, I'd recommend magicfilter. If you
> want to do things by hand, then all you really need is two printcap -
> one that has a filter for text, and one that filters for postscript.

Perfect, and a simple solution.

Thanks again.

M.

--