Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 09:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@Zilker.NET>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2521: kernel from 2.1.6 install CD doesn't accept `-c'  argument

The following reply was made to PR kern/2521; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dave Marquardt <marquard@Zilker.NET>
To: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/2521: kernel from 2.1.6 install CD doesn't accept `-c'
 argument
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:56:14 -0600

 > > 	I thought it might be a problem with the version of
 > > 	fbsdboot.exe on the 2.1.6 CD, but I tried the 2.1.5 CD-ROM's
 >
 > The problem is basically that the 2.1.6 (and later) kernels are
 > incompatible with UserConfig's argument passing now.  The kernel
 > *always* assumes -c now, but if there are no commands in the boot
 > blocks then nothing is done, it just quits again.  Since there are no
 > boot blocks in the fbsdboot case, I'm not sure what to do here.
 > Probably all I can do is change the default userconfig behavior to
 > always drop into the intro screen by default when there are no boot
 > block commands for it. :-(

 Maybe just for that kernel?  Sounds like a big pain to document that
 change in behavior.

 I suspect I'll still get 2.1.6 installed anyway, but I sure do miss
 the capability to drop into UserConfig.  If I think of any solution,
 I'll certainly let you know.  Unfortunately I don't understand the
 boot sequence on FreeBSD all that well, particularly in its
 differences from other UNIXes.
 --
 Dave Marquardt
 Home: <marquard@zilker.net>