Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:45:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jarrod Sayers <Jarrod.Sayers@unisa.edu.au>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: australian cvsup servers are using old cvsup

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, jason andrade wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:40:01 +1000 (EST)
> From: jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
> To: Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
> Cc: hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: australian cvsup servers are using old cvsup
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > I suggest the above be replaced by freebsd.unisa.edu.au
> >
> > $ telnet freebsd.unisa.edu.au 5999 Trying 130.220.227.239... Connected to
> > sanctuary.magill.unisa.edu.au. Escape character is '^]'. OK 17 0 SNAP_16_1e CVSup server
> > ready
>
> this might be a temporary solution - i'm still working on the box that
> should become the next cvsup.au, so i guess if we swap it once, it'll
> just need to get changed again later.

When?

Thats fine with me but something has to be done and soon.  It can't help
the image of FreeBSD in Oz if all the so called "Official Mirrors" here
are down, not working or run older version of cvsupd!

> i'm not having a lot of luck taking a cvsup-mirror port from freebsd to
> a linux box.

Then maybe the Linux box isn't the way to go?  Porting the cvsupd stuff
from a FreeBSD machine to a Linux machine isn't going to be easy (i
think) as its an entire suite of config files.

> i can build and compile binaries - but does anyone else run an official
> cvsup-mirror on linux ?  jdp has indicated it's not a simple matter of
> merely getting a config file, since there is some level of self configuration
> which he requires as mandatory for official cvsup mirrors.

...answered my own question.  John would know too.

> certainly, cd /usr/ports/cvsup-mirror ; make is not the answer for me, as the
> amount of stuff it's trying to build is not funny.

My opinion is that you make problems like this as transparent to the end
user as possible.  If it means making 2 changes to the DNS zone than 1,
then its worth it if it keeps the users happy.  Think of all the people
learning CVSup on FreeBSD wondering why cvsup.au and cvsup2.au are down or
returning funny mtime's thinking that its their machine at fault?

If Jason wants to hold on to the first au mirror name then thats fine, I'm
doing this as a thank you to FreeBSD not as a vanity thing.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but its frustrating that genuine and continuing
offers as help are pushed aside while someone trys to get something
working.

Regards,

Jarrod Sayers
Client Services
Information Technology Services Unit
University of South Australia, Magill Campus.