Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:17:18 -0500
From:      Peter Schultz <peter@jocose.org>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The sysinstall's safe_realloc() failure

Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> peter> Are you able to do a floppy install?
>
> It seems that boot media doesn't matter for this, floppy boot then
> install can be failed if distribution itself comes from the network.

I'm sorry, I meant network install.

> peter> The latency from Minnesota to Japan might be too high you
> peter> think?
>
> Maybe, but I doubt it *is* the root of this problem, since some of
> users in Japan also hit this problem.

Do they have a high latency connection to snapshots?  I think you're
absolutely correct, just because a user doesn't have a low latency
connection doesn't mean a network install shouldn't work for them.

Regardless of the cause, how can the error be traced?  I will try a
network install of 5.0-RELEASE from another high latency source.

Pete...