Date:      26 Jun 2001 14:18:11 +0930
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and surviving unclean shutdowns

On 25 Jun 2001 22:48:04 -0600, Chris Fedde wrote:

> FreeBSD with softupdates turned on will usually recover well from
> a crash.  Also on highly available critical systems I would not
> choose to run software raid. Better to have hardware raid running 0+1 if you
> need it or just buy big disks.   With sendmail you can run multiqueue
> with symbolic links to "subqueues" on each disk.

How 'bout Vinum? Vinum seems to outperform some hardware RAID cards.
Greg, is Vinum from a reliability point of view in high availability
servers?

> Also as you know now it might be a good idea to invest in a sensaphone or
> some otherway of having your machine room tell you it is breaking

Hmm.. I'm looking into SMS alerts now.

> BTW I didn't realize that christmas island was 9.5 hours east.

Christmas Island isn't, but South Australia is :-)

   - andrew

--
void signature () {
	cout << "Andrew Reid -- andrew.reid@plug.cx" << endl ;