Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:40:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba security questions

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Andy V. Oleynik wrote:
> Ryan Thompson wrote:
> > all the files in my Apache server root :-)  Instead, I've done a chown
> > nobody and left the access permissions alone.
>=20
> Bad idea.

Somehow, Andy, I think I new that.  I bet I just chose not to believe it
:-)

> > My question... Is there any real or implied security risk inherent in
> > having all www data owned by nobody, as far as Apache is concerned?
> >
>=20
> web tree must be owned by root but the few subtrees which can be owned by
> real users on ur host to allow them update their pages if latter are plac=
ed
> in web tree.
>=20
> WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
> prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
> system administrator             virtual money =F6%-)
> +380442448363
>=20

So, we return to my original question (which, now that I look back on it,
seems to have faded into obscurity somewhere in my last message)... How
can I enable Samba to run itself as a priviliged user when connections are
made?  Doing so would eliminate a lot of grief on my end, that's for sure
:)  I'm not just concerned about the web tree.. It would be nice to have
access to ALL files on the server from my other machine.

Virtually yours,
Ryan Thompson