Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 1994 23:55:52 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't scream..

>Being a non-optimist I am surprised that a 2.0.5 based on -current is being
>considered.  I would expect that a 2.0.1 (note the small minor revision
>implying only tiny changes) would be rolled consisting of 2.0 plus only

   We refered to 2.0-Alpha as 2.0.1 and 2.0-Beta as 2.0.2...so the best we
could do would be a 2.0.3...but this might imply 2.0-Release, so perhaps 2.0.4.
Since we *are* going to snapshot -current (there really is no other choice -
some of the fixes are too extensive to back-port to 2.0R), and since this
release will be halfway between 2.0 and 2.1, I think 2.0.5 is appropriate.

>A number of things have already changed to make my 2.0 network binaries
>not work with the -current kernel.

   What does this have to do with anything? The 2.0.5 network binaries work
with a 2.0.5 kernel, and 2.0.5 will be a complete release...so what's the
problem?

>I realise that I may be too late in this instance, but you can take it as
>read for next time!

   Actually, it's still not certain if 2.0.5 will happen at all...but if it is
possible, I'm certainly behind it.

-DG