Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:40:48 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  MAIL set by whom?

++ 21/01/01 05:20 +0100 - Roelof Osinga:
>[...]
>Bash in this case. Don't believe it was overridden, yet...

I assume you are executing bash as a login shell so it reads ~/.profile and
~/.bash_profile.  If you are, make sure between  ~/.profile and
~/.bash_profile you are only setting MAIL once, and to the correct value:

  export MAIL=~/Maildir

If you are su'ing to the user without typing "su - user" to make the
resulting shell a login shell, you will have to put that line in ~/.bashrc.

>[...]
>> http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.6
>
>Doesn't say much. I don't like 'auto-anything'. Just a couple of
>hours ago I lost my bookmarks in my NT2K WS. All except for the
>NS toolbar on top, whatever it's called. Tx to installing an USB
>Epson 680 inkjet using some fancy auto thingum. That were a lot
>of bookmarks that went to greener pastures! I don't like auto thingums
>by whatever name <s>.

Eek, that sucks :(  I hate losing bookmarks!

>Things like "Mutt does not update these files, yet." make me nervous.

That's just for MH-style mailboxes.

>[...]
>[mutt -v output]
>MAILPATH="/var/mail"
>[...]
>nl:~$ set | grep MAIL
>MAIL=/home/roelof/Maildir
>MAILCHECK=60
>MAILDIR=/home/roelof/Maildir
>

>So where does that $MAILPATH enter things?

[this may not be 100% correct, it's after a 30-second look at src]
If you don't define a default spool in your .muttrc, and you don't define
HOMESPOOL (like, ~/Mailbox or something), mutt will look in
$MAILPATH/$USERNAME by default.

>Roelof

Regards,

-pete

>PS talking about bugs. Did you know Chivas Regal has switched to
>screw caps? Try pulling those off. Sheesh! ;)

:)