Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:03:42 -0500
From:      "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here's Lumiere 0.4 ports..

>Mezz bsdforums.org schrieb:
>>>a) You should never use fully-qualified paths like that.  Instead, use
>>>the ${LOCALBASE} or ${X11BASE} macros.
>>

>>I tried did that last night and recently, it doesn't work very well same
>>as what full path does. I am not sure exactly why it doesn't work. I did
>>"${LOCALBASE}/bin/mplayer", it will keep say it's broke when I already
>>have mplayer installed. Do I need to put something speical inside the
>>exists()?
>
>Actually ${LOCALBASE}/bin/mplayer should do it within the exists brackets.
>What does your ports system think localbase is for you?
>(cd your-port-dir && make -V LOCALBASE)

"make -V LOCALBASE" works fine. The other var works as well in the Makefile,
but not when it's inside the exist(). My ports tree has been acting a little
funny lately. Like, sometime it will not install the depends, which I had to
do it by manual (go each ports and install them).. Sometimes, it will work
perfect by automatic. I think, it's time for me to do the buildworld
(-CURRENT), update kernel, update ports tree and etc.

>>>b) Why don't you add a RUN_DEPENDS on mplayer instead of doing the
>>>BROKEN thing at all?
>>

>>Because, MPlayer has a lot of options to install it. So, I thought it
>>would be good idea to force users to go to the ports and install by
>>theirselves with extra options. Am I making any sense?
>
>I think I can understand what you're trying to do here.
>You want the people to install mplayer with their favourite options befor
>building lumiere?!
>One thing is fully clear: You should use RUN_DEPENDS whether you want to or
>not, because this program is only a frontend and completely useless without
>the corresponding backend application.
>
>If you want the user to install mplayer before your port you could use a
>
>pre-everything::
>
>target and throw a message that explains the situation to the user.
>A dialog would be a solution, too, although I'd personally prefer to get
>around without them.

That's good idea. I put mplayer in the LIB_DEPENDS, which I explain more in
the another email (replied to Joe's comment)..

Thanks for help and give the feedback! :-)

Cheers,
Mezz