Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:38:30 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make -j4 vs -j8... 4 works, but 8 does not

Should a parallel build always work ? I was just trying to stress a new
series of MB we are evaluating and to my suprise, -j4 works, but not -j8

===> usr.sbin/boot0cfg
rm -f .depend
mkdep -f .depend
-a    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
/usr/src/usr.sbin/boot0cfg/boot0cfg.c
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/boot0cfg; make _EXTRADEPEND
echo boot0cfg: /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2

Nothing really strange in my /etc/make.conf

CPUTYPE=686
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
ENABLE_SUIDPERL=        no
NOGAMES=        true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true # do not build modules when building kernel
COMPAT3X=       yes
TOP_TABLE_SIZE= 10101
KERNCONF=marble