Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:36:09 -0400
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        crose@mogli.rutgers.edu (Christopher Rose)
Subject:   Re: toshiba tecra 510CDT

Chris Rose wrote...

>Many of you have offered helpful hints for getting freebsd 2.2.2
>installed and working on my machine.  The most common response was to
>make sure disk spindown (an important feature for power-poor laptops)
>was diabled or at least curtailed.
>
>Well, I've now officially tried everything I could think of:

<SNIP>
>So, after quite a few sleepless nights, I've given up for now.  The
>Toshiba folks wanted to take my machine away on retreat to discuss the
>problem with it.  I declined the offer since when I asked whether any
>had experience with BSD of linux, fsck and the like, blank phone
>stares ensued.
>
>Meanwhile, Linux is happily purring away.  On installation, it
>encounters the bad disk spots, hiccups and carries on.  Of
>course, after an unclean shut down linux becomes an ax murderer
>depositing various file parts in lost+found.
>
>Needless to say the already installed Windows95 seemed to work
>flawlessly and I COULD use that. Of course, I could also set my tongue
>on fire.

Chris,

I really hate to see someone condemned to use Windows95 if it's not by
choice.  I'm going to assume that you look at the web page
for the PAO package (http://Makefile.ORG/FreeBSD/PAO/).  As I recall
some of the people who are doing the development of PAO use Toshibas.
In fact, Tatsumi Hosokawa displays his Toshiba Libretto 30 on the
PAO web page.  Perhaps if you contacted some of these people directly,
they might be able to help you.  You might have to communicate in
Japanese --- many of the developers live in Japan.  Also check out the
LAPTOP survey on the website to see if anyone has reported success
with a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT (or something close).  Those individuals
may be able to help you as well.

I hope this helps you.

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                             email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121
Naval Undersea Warfare Center             Telephone: (401) 841-7505 x38241
1176 Howell Street                        FAX:       (401) 841-7453
Newport, Rhode Island
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)