Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 19:46:56 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Partitioning "new" hard drive??

I am running FreeBSD 3.4 on a 133 Pentium.

Thanks to everyone who answered my hardware questions :)

I just replaced the hard drive with a used 3G drive.  I'm planning on
making three partitions:  DOS (Windows 95B), FreeBSD 3.4, and BeOS.  (I'm
checking out Be out of sheer curiosity).

What is the best way to completely erase and re-partition the disk??  I've
already removed the old partitions under DOS using FDISK, and then used
FORMAT to format it as one 3G disk, so I could use SCANDISK to check it for
problems.  It's scanning now.

I have used FIPS 2.0 to create a FreeBSD partition in the past when
software was already installed on the primary DOS partition, but this disk
should be completely empty.  Should I try to create three partitions with
FDISK, or is there a better way??

Also, should I use FAT or FAT32??  The disk is 3G.