Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:51:10 -0400
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel compilation

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 10:46:04AM -0400, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> Your logic is a little flawed.  Those modules are simply built and
> placed in /modules for future use.  They are not by any means built into
> the kernel and they don't slow the kernel down any.  They also are not a
> security hazard.  If you don't insert the module, it is not running.
> They don't insert themselves into the kernel.

I find this to be untrue. For instance, my kernel config does not have
entries for USB. Yet when the machine last booted, it very definately
loaded USB drivers and probed those ports. (I can't quote dmesg due to
stupid arp messages that there is nothing I can do about.)

> >Any suggestions?
>
> Yeah, check out the /etc/make.conf and /etc/defaults/make.conf files.
> Setting NO_MODULES = true in the /etc/make.conf file will make sure that
> the modules are not built at all, either will world or kernel.  There
> are other MODULES related options to check out as well.  However,
> remember that many things like linux emulation are normally used as
> kernel modules under FreeBSD and if you don't explicitly build them into
> your monolithic kernel you won't be able to use them.  Also remember if
> you're gonna turn off module building that you remove the /modules
> directory so you don't end up accidentally using old modules with your
> new monolithic kernel.

This is the performance I want. What this machine needs it's in it's config
file. It is a static machine that does not arbitrarily need things loaded/
unloaded. Thank you for the pointer.

Jamie