Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:31:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Michael Elbel <me@tick.muc.ditec.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, questions@freefall.freebsd.org, me@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V1 #1174

>  *      If the Motif license allows it, could you just statically link the
>  * Motif library?
>
> It's possible, but do people really want this?  It's gonna be bloated,
> and xemacs is already big enough at it is (the binary is almost 3MB
> with shared everything!)....
>
> I'll let the maintainer make the call.  Michael, if you need more
> context, let me know.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Most of the GUI stuff is handled
just nicely by the Lucid libraries. There are very few things where
Athena widgets are used. The boat/usability ratio for linking Motif in
statically is just too high IMNSHO. The people who really want Motif
for the looks, not the functionality, will have a license and can
always recompile the beast.

Michael