Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 08:34:35 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail sending problem (how can this happen?)

On Feb 9, 10:42, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
> Subject: mail sending problem (how can this happen?)
> In this context another question: A colleague had run in 'political'
> difficulties in his working group where he got attacked of not having
> informed some other group members about a certain fact. He was sure
> he sent them a mail but the receiver claimed he never got the mail.
> I looked into /var/log/maillog and found that sendmail logged Sent
> (ok) or something.  Is this the absolute proof that the message had
> been delivered correctly to the receiving system? (The sending system
> is a 2.1R FreeBSD, the receiving system some other - SGI).
>-- End of excerpt from Christoph P. Kukulies

It should a prove that the mail left the FreeBSD ok. If the receiving host was
the SGI you can normaly say, yes, it was delivered. If it was a relay host,
then the mail was only delivered till the relay host. After there anything can
happen. So, if you have important mail and want to be sure it arrives, put the
Return-Receipt: line into your mailheaders.

Ulf.

--
Ulf Zimmermann, NCD Software, 101 Rowland Way, Suite 300, Novato, CA 94945
phone: 415-899-7941, email: ulf@z-code.ncd.com, phone-home: 510-865-0204