Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:58:36 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        *NONE* <funny9490@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About BSD

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 03:44:33AM -0700, *NONE* wrote:

> Hi, I was just wondering how did you make BSD, how many people did it
> take you, and how long it took to make? I want to see if I and a team
> of programmers has what its got to make an OS one day.

FreeBSD 1.0 was released in 1993. That was based on the older
BSD-releases. BSD 1.0 was released in 1977, which in turn built on the
early Unix-releases the first of which appeared in 1971.
So it took several hundreds of people working on and off for about
three decades to get FreeBSD to its present state.
It wouldn't take that long if one started today since nowadays there
are better tools, better hardware, and a lot more knowledge about what
works and what does not work.

Writing a *simple* OS can easily be done by a handful of people working
for a few months.

Creating a "complete" OS like modern FreeBSD releases or Linux
distributions or recent Windows-versions requires many man-years worth
of work.  Not because it is all that difficult (although some parts can
be) but simply because there are so many things that need to be done.
(Creating device-drivers for a gazillion different, poorly documented,
hardware devices is not the least of the problems.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson