Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:46:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        nchee_hoong@pacific.net.sg
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing /etc/ttys

> Hi ;
>       I have enabled  console ttyv8 to " ttyv8   /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
> -nodaemon  xterm   on secure"  in /etc/ttys file . Whenever reboot , xdm
> will automatically appear first and asking for username & password to
> login . Although  I key in a correct username and password, xdm always
> looping appear . It seems xterm never appear after correct  login .
>      Since now I am not able login access to X windows , I want to turn
> off ttyv8 . But the issue now xdm always appear first after reboot . I
> don't have a change to configure /etc/ttys in VT terminal mode.
>    What can I do now ? Please advise .

Hi Kelvin,

if you can still login via ssh / telnet / rlogin over the network, edit
/etc/ttys to whatever you want and do a "init q" - it will rescan the /etc/ttys
(taken from "man 8 init").

Alternative you can boot to single-user mode, do a mount -a, edit /etc/ttys
with your favorite texteditor (for that the mount -a). After that reboot and
all things should be fine.

Hope that helps

Marc