Date:      16 Jun 2002 17:35:57 +0200
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using gnome2 and gnome1?

Hi!

I'm using gnome2 with Evolution, AbiWord, Galeon and Gnumeric.

It's limited possible. Some Ports _realy_ depends on gnomecore.
That are the problematic you shouldn't install and with my (second)
way - you can't install them.

Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> has written on Friday in an
Email to the same topic:

"Currently, most of the applications in the tree are GNOME 1.4 based
 applications, and will pull in all of the GNOME 1.4.x desktop.  Your
 best bet for getting things going right now is to install all of your
 GNOME 1.4 stuff, then uninstall all of the ports listed in the gnome2
 meta-port.  Then, install the gnome2 meta-port.  This sucks for things
 like portupgrade, but hopefully that will be fixed soon when GNOME 2.0
 is officially released."

You also can try this (2. and 3. also useful after the way above):

1. install gnome2

2. edit /etc/make.conf:
    WITHOUT_GNOME=yes
    WITHOUT_PILOT=yes

3. put the following on top of /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk:
    .if defined(WITHOUT_GNOME) && defined(USE_GNOME)
    .undef USE_GNOME
    USE_GNOMELIBS=yes
    .endif

    warning: the next cvsup will overwrite this.

Now you should be able to install gnome1-ports without
overwriting your gnome2-installation also with portupgrade.
with this way i'm currently updating my gnome1-ports without
any problem.

of course: this is nonofficial and no guaranty :-)

franz.

ps: if something unclear ... i'm better in german, you can write
direct to me :-)

Am So, 2002-06-16 um 16.21 schrieb Martin Klaffenboeck:
> Hello,
>
> There are many programms just available with gnome(1)  I've installed
> gnome2 which required to deinstall gnome1.  Then I tried to install
> Abiword and some other programms, so that gnome1 was installed new...
> Now I have lost my overview, thats why I deinstalled all the gnome
> packages and just installed the gnome(1) metaport and the other
> programms (evolution, abiword, gnumeric, ...) which required gnome1
>
> So now I've got the question, how does this work with the FreeBSD Ports
> and gnome itself.  Can I use both, gnome1 and gnome2?  I'd like to
> create some programms using gnome (I think about gnome2 because it seems
> to be the future) and I'd like to develop them with glade2 and c++.  How
> can I work?  What will happen, if I install the glade2 port?  Will there
> be some gnome1 libraries be overwritten, and if will that cause errors
> for my gnome1 programms?
>
> How can I use both gnome1 and gnome2?  Is there a way to do that?
>
> Thank you for anwering this question.
>
> Martin
>
> --
>      Virtuelle Jugendarbeit auf http://create.kleinerdrache.org