Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 13:27:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Why don't we search /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by  default?

David O'Brien wrote:
> > The resulting binaries still do not work, unless LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > is set, or there is an intervening run of "ldconfig".  They fail
> > to find shared libraries at runtime, installed after boot but
> > before link (the libraries are found at link time, just not at
> > runtime).
>
> Terry, the Ports Collection *does* do `ldconfig' after installing shared
> libs.  We also do have the assumption that "ldconfig_paths" in
> /etc/rc.conf is set to match PREFIX.

This does nothing if I mount /usr/local from some place else,
rather than installing the port locally.

Also, we know about the PREFIX/ports interaction.  Not all the
world's a port.

I think the people who were complaining to Greg were Linux wonks
who expected FreeBSD to "work like Linux".

I can't really get behind Linux setting architectural direction;
however... the issue has made the point that there is a differece
between library-and-header-file-finding-behaviour at compile,
link, and (in the shared library case) run.

I don't like that.  I'm not claiming to have a golden fix for it,
but I'd at least like to know that other people don't like it.

8-).

I think I'm pretty much the only one in this thread (besides the
Linux wonks) talking about compiling an arbitrary set of sources,
NOT in the context of the ports system.  PREFIX has some meaning,
but it's mostly linked to ports.

-- Terry