Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:00:59 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        "Iv. Karabojkov" <ivo@kit-bg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia 6100 MCP RAID or GEOM

Iv. Karabojkov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am asking for recommendation. I'd like to use two SATA disks as
> RAID1 - mirror. My MB uses NVidia MCP6100 with hardware RAID.
> Is it better to use this RAID or to build a new one using GEOM?
> If I accidentally replace the MB will it be easy to reconfigure GEOM
> (for hardware RAID I know it is not if the chipset / SATA BIOS is not
> the same).

Usually this "hardware" RAID, is nothing more than software in a cheap
circuit. The price of these mobos does not justify a real hardware RAID.
I would go with GEOM.

> And one more: Is network chip Realtek RTL8201 supported on FreeBSD? I
> didn't find it in rl or re drivers, some article says it is supported
> by nve or nfe ?!?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ivo

I believe you have an Nvidia card with a realtek phy.  This works with
the nfe driver (the following is from a MCP6100 mobo I am using as a
server at a client):

nfe0: <NVIDIA nForce MCP61 Networking Adapter> port 0xe480-0xe487 mem
0xdfff9000-0xdfff9fff irq 23 at device 7.0 on pci0
miibus0: <MII bus> on nfe0
rlphy0: <RTL8201L 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto