Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:53:06 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Current List <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: __getcwd & errno 20 (Not a directory) vfs_cache.c

"John W. De Boskey" wrote:

>    The really annoying aspect to this is that it doesn't
> happen everytime, and happens more often when in a nfs
> mounted directory vs. a local directory.

Yes, this is expected due to __getcwd(2) being incomplete.

NFS expires the directory nodes after about 10 minutes.  This stops
__getcwd() working, and stops things like /proc/*/file from working.  (just
try executing /usr/local/bin/something where /usr/local is NFS mounted, and
wait for ~10 minutes.. /proc/pid/file will switch to:
  lr-xr-xr-x  1 test users   7 Sep  6 23:51 /proc/521/file@ -> unknown

Cheers,
-Peter