Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:07:16 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raidframe

David O'Brien wrote:
> You quite speak for yourself.  I've seen the FreeBSD community more split
> 50%-50% in their love-hate of Vinum.  Many of us still use ccd(4) because
> Vinum did not meet our needs.

Alfred Perlsteing claims "Vinum comes from the universe where Spock
has a beard" (sorry, Greg!).

> Scott Long had just about ported RAIDframe to FreeBSD, when the bits got
> lost in a disk crash.  So the rumor goes.

I guess you are talking about a kernel version of the code.  I did
the original port of the user space version of the code; the patches
are still up on freebsd.org.

The kernel stuff is harder and easier.  I know this seems at first
to be contradictory... ;^).

Basically, there's NetBSD code for this, and porting NetBSD code
to FreeBSD is mostly what I would call "grunt work": not a lot of
thinking is required.

It's harder, because as FreeBSD changes it's VM system, it becomes
harder to keep a lot of things up to date (file systems, etc.).
Erez Zadok's code for FiST (Filesystem Stacking Templates) used to
work with 4.3, but the changes to 4.5 were significant enough that
cache coherency was broken.

In any case, it's not like an obscene amount of work had to have
been invested by Scott Long to make the thing work, so duplicating
it is not tantamount to searching for The Rosetta Stone.

-- Terry