Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:00:17 +0200
From:      Daniel Franke <daniel@quanza.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD (6.4/7.0/7.2) guest OS bootloader not being loaded in Linux KVM. (Ubuntu 9.04)

--Apple-Mail-11-57878537

Hey all,

I've been tasked with installing a KVM machine for a customer.

My problem comes with me wanting to install FreeBSD as a guest in KVM.
The installer works fine but as soon as I start the VM after the
installation, the bootloader hangs, sometimes showing one character
and other times it doesn't show anything. Is this a known problem? Are
there any workarounds. Is there any place I can check for debug logs.

I use libvert to install and manage my VMs and I installed my VM like
this:

# virt-install --connect qemu:///system -n freebsd64test -r 1024 -f /
data/virtual_machines/freebsd64test.qcow2 -s 10 -c 6.4-RELEASE-amd64-
disc1.iso --vnc --noautoconsole --os-type=unix --os-variant=freebsd6 --
network=bridge:br0  --hvm

I also tried without the --hvm flag and with FreeBSD 7.2 and 7.0.

The Ubuntu server is a fully up-to-date 9.04 machine.

Linux xxxx 2.6.28-13-server #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 22:56:18 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know a way to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
---
Daniel Franke