Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:14:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcmcia remove hang under 4.0-stable

In message <20000418184325.K4533@pir.net> Peter Radcliffe writes:
: What I have managed to reproduce is a flashcard related crash.

Me too. :-)

: boot the machine
: put my sandisk 48Mb compact flash in a pcmcia adaptor in
:  mdir f:
: remove it
:  mount /dev/ad8s1 /dos/f
:
: Panic. I don't see the panic message, but I did manage to get two
: corefiles saved. savecore says it's a page fault.

Address 0x28?

Here's how I reproduce it:
	insert card
	touch device somehow (fdisk, disklabel, etc)
	remove card
	insert card
	touch device with fdisk
Boom.

This happens less often when I ifdef out the disk_destroys in
ad_detach.  Still happens.

: Clues or documentation pointers ?
: (apart from http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html#AEN20431
: which I've already found and will read in detail later today, got to
: go do stuff right now).

You are on the right track.  The problem is somehow related to dev
coming and going.  However, I've not had the time to trace down the
exact reasons why it does this.

Warner