Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:40:15 GMT
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/78929: atapicam prevents boot, system hangs

The following reply was made to PR i386/78929; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, harrycoin@quietfountain.com, sos@FreeBSD.org,
        thomas@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:39:42 +0300

 Hello!

  I've just verified that problem exists even under newest 6-CURRENT.
 Both my ATAPI drives behave in the similar way: on ICH4 they work with
 ATAPICAM, but on Promise Ultra 100 TX2
 they cause interrupt storm. E.g. I boot GENERIC kernel, verbose boot
 messages are in

 ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/PR/78929/dmesg-6

 and then I kldload atapicam. It doesn't output anything at this point
 (/dev/cd0 doesn't
 appear), but minute (!) later kernel outputs "ata2: reiniting channel"
 and then almost
 hanges. If I press <ALT><CTRL><ESC>, it slowly, letter-by-letter, enters
 KDB prompt. Then
 I can issue "show int" command, and it shows me millions interrupts
 through IRQ22, which
 is being used by Promise Ultra only. Removing "device atapicd" from
 kernel doesn't cure
 this problem. What can I do to help hunting on this bug? ATA+ATAPICAM is
 quite complex
 creature, so I don't know where to start from...

 Sincerely, Dmitry

 --

 Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
 nic-hdl: LYNX-RIPE