Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:50:11 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation floppies and USB

Hi:
One more *possible* "clue."

Just before the kernel configuration screen appears (this screen fills up
the screen, replacing diagnostic/bootup messages), I get a one-line message
that includes the terms "timer" and "frequency" along with some numbers
(that may be in hexadecmial).

This maybe normal boot-up behavior but I searched the mailing list archives
and noticed that the timer was rewritten for 3.0 and that there were some
messages/problems concerning the timer in the archives.

See:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.0R/notes.html
Which states:
" The timeout(9) system in the kernel has been overhauled.  This gives
  O(1) insertion and removal of callouts and an O(hash chain length)
  amount of work to be performed in softclock.  The original paper is at:
        http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~amc/research/timer/
"
John