Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:41:54 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        Michiel Boland <boland@carmel.diva.nl>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_4 merges

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:35:24PM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> At 11:21 PM 7.15.2002 +0200, Michiel Boland wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >Can someone explain the sudden rush of fixes into the RELENG_4_4 branch?
> >For instance, just exactly what good does the BIND 8.3.3 merge do?
> >Surely people who want to run BIND 8.3.3 on RELENG_4_4 can use the port.
> >Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 'remote buffer overrun'
> >bug in earlier BIND versions was in libbind.a, which isn't even installed
> >on a stock FreeBSD system, as far as I can see.
> >
> >Just exactly what's next? Are we going to see merges of things like
> >sendmail 8.12.3 into RELENG_4_4!?!?
> >
> >I'm just trying to get things clear here. Perhaps I'm missing the point
> >completely (as usual). But I would think that this continuous merging of
> >stuff into RELENG_4_4 creates a maintenance nightmare for everyone who
> >runs off this branch.
> >
> >Confused,
> >
> >Cheers
> >Michiel
>
> HUH! Now, that has me confused. I'm following RELENG_4_5 and nothing merged
> there. Still has the old BIND 8.2.4-REL, that I wish had been merged....
>
> Are you sure you are following 4_4....???

You haven't been following it closely enough.  BIND 8.3.3 was merged to
RELENG_4_6, 4_5 and 4_4 earlier today.  Do a cvsup and you will see it.

As to why it was merged to these branches is a question I don't know
the answer to, but I assume there is some good reason for it.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson