Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 12:59:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current -Stable less stable then that of March 26

Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:

> 	Well, I just upgraded my -stable source tree last night, installed
> a new kernel early this morning, and so far I've had two panic's, so I've
> plugged back in my March 26th kernel that was substantially more -stable.
>
> 	Latest panic:
>
> ncr_start+0x4a7: movl _APTD+0xfe4(%ebp,%eax)

Unh?  I have four NCR-using machines at -stable, and they all work jus'
fine.  Have you perhaps wound out the PCI bus latency timer beyond 32,
or do you have some other PCI hardware in this box that's griefing you?

> 	There is *no* trace available on this, and when I panic, I get a
> dump device not ready, so no core dump.

It sounds like your disk controller is provoking you into the panic,
so it's hardly likely that you're going to be able to use it for a dump.

You _really_ need to talk to Stefan about this.