Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:42:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym0 errors

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> Hello.=20
> =20
> What do you make of this error:=20
> =20
> sym0:1 ERROR (0:18) (1-21-0) (1f/9f) (scripta 5f8:11000000).=20
                   ^
This bit means SCSI GROSS ERROR.
It is generally a SCSI ACK/REQ protocol problem detected by the
controller SCSI core.
A SCSI BUS that hasn't margin enough for the transfer speed used is=20
likely the cause.

> sym0: script cmd =3D 11000000=20
> sym0: regdump: da 10 c0 9f 47 1f 01 03 76 01 81 21 80 01 01 09 00 ce 1e 0=
1 08 ff ff ff.=20
> (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset detected.=20
> =20
> then, some=20
> =20
> sym0: unexpected disconnect=20

This one means that the device (target) disconnected the SCSI BUS when
this wasn't expected by the initiator. This is the way target signals
problems that cannot be reported using the normal SCSI protocol. A SCSI
BUS problem that affects handshake (ACK/REQ) can be reported so by the
target, for example.
 =20
> This happens on a FreeBSD 4.2R system with a Tekram DC390U2W with an Ultr=
aPlex 40x on the  =20
> narrow bus and two Atlas 10K2 on the LVD bus.=20
> Termination is correct.=20

A SCSI BUS including all devices, cables, connectors, etc.., is something
complex. The breakage can simply not be visible.
I suggest you to decrease the synchronous speed of your devices to half
the values currently used. If the problem disappears or gets an order of
magnitude less frequent, then a SCSI BUS problem is very likely the cause.
(man camcontrol, or set device settings in NVRAM accordingly)

Regards,
  G=E9rard.