Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:55:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        nathan <beemern@telecom.ksu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help resolving nfs mount issue

nathan writes:
> I am in an argument with another sysadmin about who has to restart what
> for nfs mounting.
> he's a solaris admin, and says since i wanna run "non-standard freebsd"
> its on ME to figure out what I did wrong.
>
> The other admin ("Gary") installed a new NFS system and migrated data
> over from the old to the new and brought the new one online.  Ever
> since, i haven't been able to reestablish my nfs mount points with this:
>
> [root@sabre /root]# mount -t nfs -o rw blackhawk2:/home /nfs
> nfs: can't access /home: Permission denied
> [root@sabre /root]#
>
> When asked, Gary said he had forgotten to add my machine to the NFS
> server's allowed hosts.
> he added, and since then i get this:
>
> [root@sabre /root]# showmount -e blackhawk2 | more
> Exports list on blackhawk2:
> /home                              sabre.telecom.ksu.edu
> caddo.telecom.ksu.edu .... (et al)
>
> Now, I still can't mount /home from blackhawk2,  however, i CAN mount
> several other nfs point from other machines.
>
> Gary says that its MY machine with the problem and refuses to do
> anything.
> I asked him if he had bounced mountd or anything on the nfs machine (its
> solaris) and he said "no" but it doesn't need it.  and won't help any
> further, just saying "its YOUR problem .. not mine" he said if ANYTHING
> needs bouncing, its MY freebsd box.
> i likewise REFUSE to bounce/reboot my machine.  i've NEVER bounced my
> box for anyting but OS/kernel updates and/or hardware upgrades and i
> ain't 'bout to start now.
>
> Who's right?

Personally, I'd say you're both wrong. It's not like either one is
being asked to do something extraordinary. Reboot your system, if that
doesn't work, it'll provide leverage on him to do the appropriate
thing to mountd. It'll also allow you to say "I only bounce my box for
OS/kernel/hardware upgrades and Solaris bugs."

If you can't stand taking a morally superior position, ask him *when*
mountd rereads the share table information from disk. You might also
ask if he can *check* the in-core shared file system list (via share
or share_nfs) to see if your box is properly listed on it.

	<mike