Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:06:14 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Raymond Hicks <rayhicks@UU.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <hostname>.wizard

In the last episode (Sep 05), Raymond Hicks said:
> Cheers,
>   can anyone tell me what this entry when I do netstat does..  what are
> these entries?
>   <hostname>.wizard or
>   <hostname>.2003
>   <hostname>.callbook
>   <hostname>.globe

I'm betting that is not the only thing on the line when you run
netstat, right?  You forgot to list what's in the "Remote address"
column?  Those are most likely just the local end of a telnet or ftp
session you are making to a remote host.

> 2)
>   how do I block my box from allowing access from certain IP addresses?
> should I add a hosts.deny file in /etc?  Does FreeBSD recognize this
> convention?  I am running 3.4 on intel 233...  this is pertaining to
> Portsentry...  it by default wants to add to hosts.deny and there is not a
> hosts.deny file there so I created one and it still allows you to connect
> from blocked addresses..??

Add "-wW" to your inetd_flags line in /etc/rc.conf.  That'll enable
tcpwrapper support.  Run tcpdchk/tcpdmatch to verify that the rules you
added are actually working.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com