Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:44:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        axl@iafrica.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dan@math.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re:  amd: noconn option exists...

> I'm using ELF 3.0-CURRENT as of Friday last week. I've just noticed the
> following in /etc/messages:
>
> amd[11641]: noconn option exists, and was turned OFF! (May cause NFS hangs on some systems...)

> Are these messages harmless warnings that can be turned off, or does
> this indicate that I falsely estimated the success of my transition to
> CURRENT?

I ran into this problem several months ago and would really like
to see it explained by someone who really knows.  Since no such person
has volunteered to share his wisdom, I share my experience:

 1) In the beginning, bsd-nfs mounts required the noconn option
    to avoid hangs in certain circumstances, such as multi-ported
    servers that might respond to nfs requests to one IP address
    through a different IP address.  So I made noconn a default
    mount option in my amd maps.

 2) Sometime prior to 3.0, something in the system or in amd changed
    such that remote mounts began to like the "conn" option.  When
    my old amd maps were used on new 3.0 systems, the amd saw that
    noconn was turned on, complained about it, and turned it off.
    (Note: the 3.0 SNAP release notes prior to the 3.0-RELEASE said
    there was a new version of amd with new configuration options.)

 3) The frequent warning messages were ugly, so I tried an experiment.
    I disabled the amd code that prevented the noconn mounts.
    Then some of my remote mounts started hanging.  Then I changed
    my default amd mounting option from "noconn" to "conn".
    That seemed to fix everything.

I don't know why "conn" is now the right thing to do while "noconn"
used to be the right thing.

Dan Strick
dan@math.berkeley.edu