Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:43:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 Won't forward priviledged ports

In message <379E85A1.1E734862@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> "James C. Durham" writes:
: I can forward ports > 1024, but not < 1024.

Feature.  Unless you are root, you cannot bind to those ports.

: Somehow, even though I'm being authenticated as root
: for login purposes, I'm not being authenticated for port
: forwarding. I've made keys for both the client and
: server machines for root.

Are you root on the client machine, if not then your ssh process
cannot bind to low numbered ports.  The kernel will not allow it.

If you are root when you run the ssh to the remote machine (and not
merely be authorized for root login on the remote machine), then you
have found a bug in ssh.

Warner