Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:21:29 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CLOCK stuff at bootup

OK, I didn't pay alot of attention when this stuff went in because I was
scared away from current.  However, after the glowing reports from the
weekend, I decided to upgrade my laptop to -current to try and work on
some PCCARD stuff on the road.

However, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing re: the clock
messages now.

FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #2: Mon Jun 10 12:46:29 MDT 1996
    root@nec.sri.MT.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/CARD
Calibrating clock(s) relative to mc146818A clock ... i586 clock: 75171042 Hz, i8
254 clock: 1193196 Hz
CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION not specified - using old calibration method
i586 clock: 0 Hz
CPU: Pentium (75.16-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x524  Stepping=4
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>

I'm assuming I'm supposed to define one or both of the above, but why?
How do I determine which one is the more accurate, since obviously the
i854 clock is not running at the same frequency as my Pentium chip. :)

Bruce, what do you want done here?

Nate