Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 02:32:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>
To:        RHS Camel Smoker <bbobb@blerg.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux vs fbsd

FreeBSD is by far, a better operating system.  Why?  Well, first, pretty
much anything you can run on Linux will run on FreeBSD with very little
effort.  FreeBSD has over 1000 ports of some of the latest and greatest
UN*X software (i.e. Perl, AfterStep, ssh, Netscape, Apache, Samba, and
netatalk).  It's rock solid, and has, by far, the best support of all of
any Intel operating system.  If I have a question, this list, or people
like Greg Lehey and Brian Sommers will answer it expediently.  FreeBSD
is constantly growing, simple to install, extremely powerful, and highly
addictive.  As for playing around with it, it's got a load of games,
window managers, drawing/painting apps, and tricks.  Linux, in my
opinion, is too mixed up and confusing.  You have a variety of different
Linux kinds, with support being muddled, and at times, hard to find.
FreeBSD has one central outlet for support, upgrades, and apps, with
easy-to-find links to related sites, and related documentation.  Plus,
if that doesn't win you, FreeBSD has that kick-ass daemon for a logo.

-Joe Clarke