Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 06:34:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I for one would love to see 2.8.1 or newer in the tree for my own,
> > selfish reasons.  Many ports (new architectures) would benefit from
> > this.
>
> Is that to say that you prefer it over egcs 1.1.1?  If so, why?

I was a little surprised at the egcs thing myself.  While I (along with
probably everyone else) thinks that egcs is more advanced, it's also had
the bugs that go along with being leading edge.  Since FreeBSD's
extremely conservative attitude towards changing our compiler is very
nearly legendary, well, to be willing to jump towards the bleeding edge
suprised me.

If there really exists the political will to move us to egcs, this might
be a good thing.  The code is very definitely better, and moving us
towards egcs will make a later upgrade to an even newer egcs somewhat
easier, perhaps.  More importantly, it's going to make the egcs writers
take notice, and have a bit more receptive attitude towards accepting
patches from us for the "FreeBSD" port ... possibly REALLY easing the
upgrade path.

My own personal experience is that the egcs people read and react to
trouble reports ... I've sent them in to the gcc authors in the past,
but never seen any changes from them, like I did from egcs.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).