Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 12:25:42 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        dyson@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gurney_j@efn.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with programs being swaped out!!

>  Probably the best approach is for the system to free-up swap space for
>  pages that are resident when the system is low on memory.

I agree.

In the earlier post, I should have made it more clear that hardware
concerns in the 386BSD 0.x days are different from those today. Today,
if your machine is pushed to backstore starvation, your performance
goes bad anyway, I agree, that would a good time to switch strategies to
free pages in RAM.

to patronize the other readers and to make sure I am not saying anything
critical, anytime a person changes the philosophy of the VM, the whole system
is affected.

For My Information:
Wouldn't an additional mask be required to tell which pages are backstored but
also resident or are you going to run down processes and flush out already
backstored pages leaving the other pages that have never been backstored
resident (because there is not place to put them because we are backstore
starved)? or are you going remove the backstore pages for the resident pages
and let the pageout alorithm act normally? or, ... or, ...

--mark.