Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:51:33 -1000
From:      "David J. Orman" <ormandj@corenode.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forcing FTP-uploaded files to be of certain types only

The stock ftp server? If you can't base the prohibitions on file extension alone (such as the 100kb example you made) then you're going to have to modify the source of the ftp daemon yourself. Size, extension, etc - those are relatively easy limits to impliment. Actual file typing by examination of the first 100kb isn't easy, and it isn't part of the core functionality AFAIK. You'll have to write that. In fact, I'm not aware of any ftp server that does what you're asking.

Maybe it would be better to examine files periodically that were uploaded via a simple program, and anything that isn't allowed, destroy. You could also make it compress things that weren't compressed to begin with, etc etc etc.

Good luck,
David