Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:09:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
To:        John Milford <jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, peter@netplex.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, John Milford wrote:

> 	I will assert that it is insanity to build and use a 1TB UFS
> for small files (~ 2.5e8 inodes or 32GB) at least with the current
> technology.  Maybe I am wrong, if anyone thinks so feel free to tell

It has to be said that whilst reading this thread, I've been sat here
silently with phrases like 'Storage-Area Networks' buzzing around my head.
I agree that multi-terabyte and even petabyte sytems are possible today
using technologies better suited to them... ufs in not the way to do it...
it might look impressive, but for redundancy and performance it justs
seems there are better ways of doing it by breaking it up into lots of
smaller filesystems (and I'm not necessarily talking about NFS or
disk-partitioning.. :)

--
Paul Robinson - Developer/Systems Administrator @ Akitanet Internet