Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2004 01:58:53 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atacontrol Raid, cannot re-add member to array

--Boundary-02=_CnJ6A1TlJo+Y9ks

Am Montag, 5. Juli 2004 01:21 schrieb Doug Ambrisko:
> Harald Schmalzbauer writes:
> | I've never tried ataraid with "non-raid" controllers but I doubt that
> | detach/attach would work. I asked S?ren about the missing addspare in
> | -stable but never got any answer.
>
> I've add addspare and some other features in my 4.10 Release patches:
> 	http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/ata/ata_stable_sata_5.patch
>
> You might want to give that a try.

Ughh, if I knew that 3 days eralier....

=46irst, thank you very much for wour work, but since I couldn't get a prom=
ise=20
=46asttrak100 tx2 over the weekend (which is very well supported by S=F8ren=
s=20
ataraid) I replaced my sil0680 with a hpt372 and played with the original=20
HighPoint drivers (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/b372.htm#FreeBSD) and=
=20
although the module I'm using is for 4.9, it works flawlessly on 4.10-stabl=
e.=20
Via sysctl hpt37x2.status you can use all functions like with the bios, als=
o=20
auto rebuild et cetera works perfectly. (alias raidinfo 'sysctl=20
hpt37x2.status')
The main reason why I couldn't use the hpt37(2) with 4.10 was that if one=20
drive fails, ataraid removes the drive from the raid configuration. If now=
=20
the same drives returnes (like it happens sometimes after a reboot) you hav=
e=20
two (ar0 and ar1) arrays. Now you have to know which drive failed and which=
=20
one the controller reports as remaining drive for the original array and dd=
=20
(if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/ad? count=3D63) the opposite drive.
Otherwise the system ends up in booting from ar0, which in my case was the=
=20
"failed" disk, returning after a reboot, and so I had a inconsistent severa=
l=20
weeks old system.

Your patch my be great for all sil0680 useres but hpt370 users really shoul=
d=20
use the manufacturers driver. You can see a dmesg with them at=20
http://www.schmalzbauer.de/netz/dmesg.korso

Best regards,

=2DHarry