Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:44:18 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        "Sam Leffler (at Usenix)" <sam@usenix.org>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crunch.conf for picobsd+openssh

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 10:50:13AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> The main problem with the "open"s{sh,cp,shd} is that they
> bring in a huge amount of things, if i remember well it is
> over 500KB _compressed_, which is unacceptable bloat for pico-BSD.

I think it would be worth while to try to generalize the pico-BSD
scripts to deal with different target media sizes.

That is, we're all worrying about what will fit on a 1.44MB floppy,
when other bootable media are becoming more profligate.  2.88 Mbyte
floppies, LS-120 "SuperDisk" floppies, 80 MByte mini-CDRoms,
680MByte CDRoms are all widely deployed bootable media.

I still think that Pico-BSD ought to be bootable from read-only
media, which might be what distinguishes it from just a pared-down
RELEASE, but for some uses it might want to take up more than what a
floppy can hold.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com