Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 09:01:53 -0400
From:      Jeffrey Anuszczyk <jeffa@novera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeffa@novera.com
Subject:   2.2.2-RELEASE ftp.freebsd.org src files

Hi All,
  I just installed over the net using ftp.  Everything went well
and I finished configuring.  However, when I tried to create a
kernel I found 2 source files with syntax errors (ac_id instead
of ac_if) type of things.  I fixed them and generated a kernel.
Booted resulted in a page found while in kernel mode (attempted
to access 0x8 while in kernel mode).  Hmmm, redid using the GENERIC
configure.  Same deal.

   So I redownloaded from ftp.freebsd.org all of the src chunks
again and 'install.sh all'.  This failed in contrib and sys with
a 'gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data -- format violated'.  Note
that all the files were downloaded using ftp in binary mode and
only these two archives failed to install... all others are fine.

   Since my CD-ROM had come in I installed the chunks from CD and
all is well.  Kernels now run, etc.  Has anyone else had any
problems with the files stored on ftp.freebsd.org?  I'm really
puzzled as to what is going on.

- Jeff