Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2008 12:45:24 +0200
From:      Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-15?Q?Cl=E9ment_Lavoillotte?= <clement.lavoillotte@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re[2]: docs/124306: ftpusers man page says /etc/ftpusers is mandatory to enable ftp access, but it's not

Hello Cl=E9ment,

Friday, June 6, 2008, 12:20:05 AM, you wrote:

>  Perhaps it should be mentioned in this line that it only applies to =3D20
>  lukemftpd ? It may be obvious for most users, but it wasn't for me =3D20
>  since I didn't see "lukemftpd" anywhere in ftpusers(5) [nor in ftpd(8) =
=3D20=3D
> =20

The documentation of ftpds in the base system has been problematic for
years and it's a known problem; however nobody has ever really tried
to fix it.

When I got my commit bit I have proposed to remove either lukemftpd or
ftpd, because they both use very similar configuration files and the
man pages are so much confusing. Unfortunately that has never happened.

Somebody(tm) will need to take an axe and get the things right in the
future...

--=20
Best regards,
 Daniel                            mailto:danger@FreeBSD.org