Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:10:42 +1000
From:      Ivan Carey <ivan@careytech.com.au>
To:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboard Chipset Support List

youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Sean Murphy wrote:
>
>> I am having troubling installing FreeBSD 6.2 Release on and Intel
>> DG965OT
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DG965OT/index.htm
>>
>> Which uses the Intel® G965 Chipset
>>
>> I have checked under the following link but it does not mention
>> support for specific motherboards or chipsets.  I realize that
>> listing motherboards would be to exhaustive but chipsets maybe would
>> be more of a limited scope.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-i386.html
>>
>> Does FreeBSD provide a list for Chipsets? Is there a man page I can
>> look at like the other drivers listed on that page have man pages
>> except for Chipsets?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Sean,
>      G965 is a recent chipset, so I suggest that you download a
> snapshot build of the livecd and install using that. The snapshot
> folder is located at: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/.
> -Garrett

Hello Sean,
I recently asked the same question at www.expert-exchange.com and the
answer I received is that the board is supported.
have a look at the product brief for the mother board
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/g965/prod_brief.pdf   it says the
the I/O controller hub is an ICH8
and the FreeBSD 6.2 release notes for the ata(4) driver
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ata&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE

I am still learning myself how to understand the release notes.
Ivan