Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ed Mullins <edmull@galaxy.galstar.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation..

Any opinions?

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Ed Mullins wrote:

> > > In the FreeBSD install (using the boot.flp image, and attempting to
> > > install via anonymous FTP), when it starts comitting, when it gets to
> the
> > > "Doing newfs ......." info. dialog, it will start lightly accessing
> the
> > > hard drive every 5 seconds, and continue doing this forever.  I let it
> run
> > > for over 4-5 hours, and it was still doing the same thing.

[...]

> I've went through the installation proccess around 25 times so far, each
> time learning a little more.  I always delete the partition it starts to
> create with FDISK, before I start to reinstall.  I think I tryed the Write
> command once - but that's all.
>
> Here's some detail:
>
> Although I've tryed different versions, this output came from 2.2-960612,
> when I pressed ALT-F2 when it 'hangs' - it usually hangs while the dialog
> on ALT-F1 says "Doing newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 -v 4092 /mnt/dev/rwd0s2f" on
> the ALT-F2 screen it displays, basically:
>
> -------begin here--
> Warning: calculated sectors per cylinder (4092) disagrees with disklabel
> (1008)
>
> 191.8MB in 6 cyl groups (16 c/g, 31.97MB/g, 7680 i/g)
>
> super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
>   32,wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 5a<rdy,seekdone,drq,index> error 1 <no_dam>
> ------end here--

Sounds like your disk controller is having trouble.  We'll have to ask
the ide hackers about thiserror but I have a hunch something is
interfereing with your disk controller.

> Here's better description of my hardware....
>
> Intel 486SX2 50MHz CPU, 8MBs of RAM, Western Digital 540MB, Segate 428MB
> (I didn't have it do anything to the Seagate, only the W.D.), 1.44 3.5"
> floppy, a 2 speed generic Panasonic-compatible CD-ROM, 28.8 Cardinal
> modem, PS/2-type mouse and keyboard, and a generic 16-bit sound card
> that's compatible with most all Sound Blaster and Adlib drivers..
>
> I think that's all that may possibly have to do with it..  I've tryed
> deleted all partitions on the 540, and I've tryed having half of the drive
> to Win95 and half to let FreeBSD install on, both produce the same
> results..

Hm.  I'd have the errors above decoded first and then work from there.

> Any thoughts??  This has been very frustrating... I really want to learn
> the OS, and people have reccommended FreeBSD the most to me.
>
> I've searched through the archives on www.freebsd.org for hours, the only
> thing I can find close to my problem suggest that my hardware may be
> failing, but I've tested the motherboard, harddrive controler, and
> hardrives with several PC testing programs -- all say there are no
> problems what-so-ever.

Those programs are not very good, especialy with memory and cache problems.
FreeBSD is a good hardware tester by itself.  :-)

> The Western Digital is only a month or two old... With all the other
> operating systems (including msdos 6.xx, pcdos 5(?), win3.1, wfwg3.11,
> win95, and os/2 3.0) I've used have had great compatibility with all my
> hardware, and have no problems..

FreeBSD taxes the system harder than other operating systems and is less
tolerant of faulty hardware.  It can exacerbate previously unknown
problems.

What brand is your IDE controller?  Is it an onboard?

> By the way, I'm sure you know, but, I haven't been able to access
> ftp.freebsd.org for probally 4-5 days now.

Was working this morning.