Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:21:28 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>, sos@freebsd.dk, marks@ripe.net, ktsin@acm.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in CURRENT

Thus spake Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>:
>   All Intel chips are fairly buggy.  If you don't believe it you should
>   just take a look at the erratas on developer.intel.com - although you
>   should know that some of this stuff may severly alter your life and,
>   specifically, the way you go about debugging problems.  Sometimes,
>   ignorance is bliss. :-)

Not this one: http://sucs.swan.ac.uk/~cmckenna/humour/computer/potato.html

But seriously, most relatively complicated hardware is buggy in
some way.  What matters is how the manufacturer is willing to deal
with the problem.  Intel at least has the sense to recall products
with serious bugs that affect many people (i.e. Windows doesn't
have a workaround for them.)  Granted, they're probably applying
Ford-style reasoning, weighing the cost of the recall against the
cost of settling the lawsuits.

I spoke with a former ASUS employee a while ago about a memory
corruption bug that affected several lines of their older
motherboards.  Apparently the company policy was to categorically
deny the existence of the bug.  I pointed ASUS to some
documentation of the problem from Adobe and Microsoft, and their
reaction was, as expected, that the problem was with Windows and
most Adobe software products.