Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:14:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What good PII/PIII Motherboards for FreeBSD and Celeron CPU's

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Doug wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > 	What are the current good motherboards for FreeBSD for the pentium
> > II and III?  I know on the Pentium, it was the ASUS board but for the
> > PII/PIII, is the Abit the better board?  Also, I was wondering what is the
> > fastest Celeron chip that can be overclocked to run at 100Mhz FSB?  Does
> > it matter if it's Slot 1 or PPGA based?  Thanks.
>
> 	At work we're having good results with an Intel N440BX
> motherboard. It's a dual cpu board, running 2 PIII 500's like a champ. It
> also has the ability to redirect all console output (like boot/bios
> messages, etc.) to a serial console. It comes with a built in Etherexpress
> Pro 100+ as well.

	Cool... I thought the Intel motherboards weren't that good
compared to other brands..

> 	I have an Asus P2B at home that I've run my Celeron 300A
> overclocked to 450 since the first of the year with no problems (and BIG
> fans).

	Hmmm, what kinda fans did you use and where can one get those?  Is
the 300A overclocked as fast as a regular PII 450Mhz?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]